Moving Out

What do I need to do?

Here we will cover all the stuff you need to do when you move out.

Terms of agreement

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) your deposit should be protected in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). You should find this information in your tenancy agreement or you could ask your landlord for written confirmation.


You will need to leave the house in the condition in which you found it when you moved in. Things may have changed, been damaged or broken and if you have contacted your landlord throughout the year this will be ok, but if not this is the time to fix or replace items that are present on the inventory. When it comes to cleaning there is often an expectation to get a professional in to do it, but this will all depend on your contract and the condition of the house when you moved in. Make sure you can prove any claims that you make as it will be someone independent that investigates and they will require proof. If you would like to talk this process through with us just get in contact.

If your tenancy started after 1 June 2019, your landlord can no longer charge you for a professional cleaning service, or demand that you use one; however you must still provide an end-of-tenancy clean so the cleanliness is at the same standard you received it.

Claiming Benefits

Once you are no longer registered as a student you will be able to claim some benefits when you find yourself in financial difficulties. Most unemployed people are eligible for:

  • Job Seeker’s Allowance/Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction Benefit

Turn2Us can advise you about financial help available after you graduate.