Money & Finance

You might find yourself feeling worried about the spread of coronavirus and its impact on you and your loved ones. These feelings are normal and it’s important we acknowledge them and remind each other to look after our physical and mental health.

We are in a period of heightened anxiety for everyone at the moment, students and staff alike, and the uncertainty around the future is only adding to that. This uncertainty and anxiety is completely understandable, but if you are struggling to cope and manage your mental health, there are a number of support services available to help you.

Study Support Grant

All students are eligible to apply for the Study Support Grant from the Financial Wellbeing team. The assessment process looks at your income versus outgoings and if there is a shortfall between the two, the Study Support Grant will look to assist you. The application process will take around two weeks from the team receiving your completed application form and supporting documents.

NB: the grant is not available during the summer months so if you expect a shortfall in income during that period, then you may want to make an application before the end of term.

Find out more

If you’re struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to arrange a payment plan with your landlord.

Email your agent/landlord to see what is possible but please bear in mind that while they have been advised to work out a realistic payment plan given the circumstances, there is no law that requires them to do this.

Read our Housing FAQs

Bank Support

Some banks are also offering support for their customers, so do check your bank's website to see what help may be available to you.

NB: be extremely careful when looking for financial support. There are a lot of scams going around targeting people because of coronavirus so be careful you use a trusted source before making any financial decisions. Which? has a handy article on avoiding coronavirus scams.

When you are no longer a student, you can apply for Universal Credit if you don’t have full-time employment.

Paid monthly, or twice a month for some people in Scotland, it's a payment to help with your living costs.