Can I Move Into My New House Share?

With government guidance regularly changing, and some of it far from crystal clear, you may be confused as to whether you should be moving into your new house share right now.

Our Housing Advisor has put together this information to let you know where you currently stand.

Can I move into my new house share?

Legally, yes you can. However, the government has not yet provided guidance for moving into Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOS) where people from different households come together to share private accommodation, e.g. student house shares. The current guidance only considers people moving with their families and not the more complex context of student renting.

Under the current circumstances, we would advise extra caution when deciding whether or not to move into an HMO, or, if possible, wait to see if guidance specific to students is released later this summer. You might want to consider safety measures, such as a staggered move-in.

So I could end up paying rent for a place I’m not using?

Unfortunately so. We know this is unfair and are doing all we can to convince local landlords to give students a break. Our Advice Centre have contacted local estate agents, asking them to work with their landlords to offer some more flexibility to student renters. We will keep you posted on their responses.

I'm worried that I haven't sorted accommodation for next year yet

Don’t be. Our local private student lettings market is so saturated that there is a range of accommodation available throughout the academic year, even when the University is full. As some international students’ exams have been delayed, we expect to have an even bigger excess of private accommodation for you to choose from locally. We expect you to be spoilt for choice, even in September!

I’m worried I’ll have no-one to live with

There is a wide selection of spare rooms advertised by students on our RHSU HouseMating group throughout the year. You just need your student number to join! You can start window-shopping for a room now but remember to ask for a contract check before signing or paying for anything.

When can I move into my new place?

If you have been offered a room in Halls, then we expect them to be ready for you in time for term to start. If you’re staying in a private student house share, then you can decide when you want to move in. Just get in touch with your landlord and estate agent a couple of weeks in advance to make sure that the property is ready for you and to confirm check-in arrangements.

I’ve still got a lot of questions

We know that everyone’s situation is unique, so please feel free to email us with your questions. You can also ask for an individual or group Zoom appointment with an Advisor. You and your housemates can fire away with any random questions that are bothering you. We know you’ll feel much better once you’re better informed.

Further Support

We appreciate the volume of information being sent your way could be quite overwhelming, so we've created a Coronavirus Hub to give you quick links to key advice, guidance, and our latest news updates. With dedicated pages for housingacademic, and welfare advice, as well as links to government advice and College FAQs, it's your one-stop shop for all the vital information during this time.

The Advice Centre is a free, independent and confidential service for all students here at Royal Holloway. Our friendly, experienced and professional staff will provide a listening ear and offer general and specialist advice. We’re here to support you with a whole range of issues, big and small, and if we’re not the best people to help you with a particular issue, we’ll point you in the right direction.

Email us at with any questions or to ask for a phone appointment.