Fire Safety In Student Homes

On Friday 15 November a fire broke out at private student residences in Bolton, with 200 firefighters and 40 fire engines required to battle the blaze.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, but personal items were lost and students have had to be relocated to temporary accommodation. In light of this, the Secretary of State sent a letter to all university Vice Chancellors and Principals asking them to review all accommodation fire safety.

What have we been doing?

I reached out to the University to ask how they have been responding to the fire and to ensure that they are undertaking the relevant reviews. Royal Holloway are reviewing all accommodation and looking at making improvements where needed.

They have also reached out to local accommodation providers at The Pad, The Podium and Hox Park to make sure that they are also reviewing their fire safety regulations.

I would like to reassure students at Royal Holloway that their safety is top priority for the University, and matters relating to fire safety are treated with the utmost importance.

Please also be aware of the following things that you can do to maintain your own safety:

  • Do not cover smoke/fire detectors. Doing so places your life, and your flatmates’ lives in danger
  • If you hear a fire alarm, leave the building immediately. Don’t stop to pick up any belongings, these can all be replaced
  • Clean the kitchen regularly. Grease fires are a common cause of fire, and this occurs from not cleaning properly
  • Do not cover fire exits or extinguishers
  • Read your accommodation handbook. Knowing the regulations will help keep you and everyone in your building safe

The fires in Bolton show that it is incredibly important to take fire regulations seriously, as fires really can happen anywhere. Even the most fire resistant buildings can be impacted, and therefore it is important that we all understand how to keep ourselves safe.

Lucy Simpson // Vice President Welfare & Diversity