SU Elections: Nominations Now Open!

SU Elections nominations are now open, and it's finally your chance to stand to shape the future of the Students' Union. So check out everything you need to know and see if you've got what it takes!

We’ve officially opened nominations for our Students’ Union Elections, which means that you now have the chance to register your interest in standing for election. It’s an unmissable opportunity, and one that’s well worth your time.

President, Vice President Education, the renamed position of Vice President Wellbeing & Diversity, and the new position of Vice President Societies & Sport are all up for grabs, as well as the chance to head to Liverpool as an NUS Delegate.

Think you could lead the Bears to victory? Or maybe you’re the one who can reform the GP Surgery or shape academic representation? Then this is your moment. Right here, right now, you can change the course of Royal Holloway history, forever.

How can I do it?

It’s very easy! All you have to do is visit our elections homepage, enter into the “Stand” section, and fill out the information. You don’t even need to worry about a manifesto just yet. All you need is some drive, your College card number, and a couple of personal details, and you’ll be good to go.

This all sounds a bit much, is this for me?

Well, that depends. We won’t lie to you, running in an election is a pretty brave thing to do, and it takes a lot of work to pull off.

But don’t worry, there will be people helping you all the way, with dedicated support from Students’ Union staff members to help you get the most out of your campaign. And even if you don’t win, the experience of running your very own campaign will be something you can carry with you for the rest of your life, and the skills you gain will be absolutely invaluable moving forward from university life.

And if you really decide it’s too much, then remember that signing up to stand isn’t like signing a marriage license, you can drop out at any time (although we recommend you try and stick it out until the end!)

I’m an International/Mature/Postgraduate/Part Time/etc student, can I still run?

Of course! As long as you’re a student at Royal Holloway, you can put yourself forward for election. You need to be a member of the Students’ Union, which you automatically are unless you’ve opted out, but that’s the only prerequisite!

If you have any questions or concerns about whether or not running will affect your status (in terms of visas, funding, etc.), please get in touch with us via email and we’ll be more than happy to help you out.

What if I haven’t finished my degree yet, can I run?

The answer is still yes! You can take a year out of your studies to become a Sabbatical Officer, and then return to your studies once you’ve completed your time in office.

Alternatively, you can run for our part-time NUS Delegate role which, involves joining the Union’s President and another NUS Delegate as the representatives of Royal Holloway at NUS Conference. This is a voluntary role that you can hold while studying.

I have so many more questions!

Don’t worry, we’ve got you. You can check out our FAQ here, or feel free to email us if your question isn’t covered there!

So, what are you waiting for? Click on the button below to head over to the elections home page, nominate yourself, and get planning! The future of RHSU is counting on you!

Stand for election