Postgraduate Research Student Support

As a PGR student, we know that your time here at Royal Holloway may look and feel slightly different to other students. This is why we wanted you to have your own section for advice and support and to let you know that we are still here to support you throughout your studies.

In May 2019, the Students’ Union launched a Policy Inquiry on the postgraduate research student experience at Royal Holloway. This involved high-level research, engaging with all of our PGR community, and deliberating over the ways we can work together to improve the Royal Holloway PGR experience.

Read the report

What can we help you with?

In your PGR student lifecycle, there are two main areas that you may need to consider an appeal.

  • Against your review outcome, other assessment outcomes and examinations
  • Against a termination of registration

Appeals can only be considered on limited grounds that you can find outlined in the Appeals Guidance of Students.

If you believe you do have grounds to appeal, you might want to discuss this decision with an Advisor. They will be able to advise you around completing the form, the appeals process itself, timescales and check a draft of a form for you also.

Below you will find the Appeals form and ‘how to’ guides for completing the form

Appeal Form How to: Appeal an academic outcome Form How to: Appeal a termination of registration

A complaint can arise if one or more students have a specific concern about an action or lack of action by the University, the standard of a service provided by or on behalf of the University, or about matters that affect the quality of the learning opportunities.

You can read more about the formal complaints process here.

If you have concerns about your course, your PGR student experience, your research or anything else you encounter during your time at Royal Holloway, book in to speak with an advisor. A formal complaint can take upwards of 3 months for an initial outcome, an Advisor may be able to help you resolve your complaint informally before it needs escalating.

An academic offence is any conduct/act which attempts to deceive or is in contravention of any rules or regulations governing assessment. It applies to any work submitted regardless of its contribution to your final grades and includes but is not limited to written assignments, data collection, exam papers, imagery, music, ideas and thoughts.

If you are focusing your PhD on a topic you also wrote about in your previous studies, it can be tempting to refer to work you have already written. If you are making use of your own previous work, this does still need to be referenced and using it without reference counts as duplication which is an academic offence.

You can read more about support available if you receive an allegation of academic misconduct here.

The College's Academic Regulations state that you are permitted to request to interrupt your studies for up to 24 months (whether consecutively or otherwise) on financial, medical or personal grounds on the recommendation of your supervisor. Requests are considered by the Doctoral School Director (Quality, Enhancement and Inclusion). If your request to interrupt is due to maternity, paternity or adoption leave, please see here for information. If you have any queries, please speak to your department in the first instance, or email The Doctoral School here.

Want to speak with an advisor?

If you've already looked through our web pages and can't find the information you're after, and would like to discuss something face-to-face, it's easy to see an Advisor.


We hold weekly drop-in sessions on Zoom during term time. Check out our Events Calendar to find out when the next drop-in is - just use the "Advice" filter on the left-hand side of the page.


Email us at