Academic Rights: Attendance.

Whilst university can be a place to explore and be involved with a huge range of different activities, your primary purpose here is to study. Therefore, attendance plays a significant role in your university experience. Reduced attendance can be detrimental to your education, but we completely understand that attendance isn’t always possible because of a whole range of exceptional circumstances. In this article I will let you know about both your requirements to attend, the steps you can take if you are unable to meet this, and your rights around your attendance.


  • Attend all classes, meetings and other activities needed for your studies, and record your attendance at scheduled activities using this link.
  • Arrive on time to all your classes and make sure you have completed any required preparation work.
  • Complete all your assessments (if you cannot complete due to exceptional circumstances you will need to submit extenuating circumstances. Our Advice Centre will be able to help you if this is the case).
  • If you do not meet the attendance requirements for your course, you may find yourself subject to the formal warnings process. You can find more information here about attendance guidelines.

As much as we understand the other commitments you have (and believe us we do!), you should manage your time effectively. Any paid employment, voluntary work, extracurricular activities or social commitments should not interfere with your attendance. Students studying on a full-time basis are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week during term time and if you are an international student you must follow the working restrictions stated on your visa. If you feel you need to work more hours, or are struggling to find flexible employment, please talk to our Advice Centre.


  • If you are unable to attend any of your required sessions, you will need to let the college know by submitting a Notified Absence form. This form needs to be submitted  either before your absence or by the end of the day of your absence.
  • If you are going to be absent for more than five days, you need to follow the Authorised Absence procedure- which you can find out more about here. 
  • Some modules may have a specific attendance requirement, which you should be informed of if this is the case.
  • In following of the Equality Act 2010, you are allowed to ask for an adjustment to your attendance requirements if needed. Please contact your department who will help you liaise with the Disability and Neurodiversity Services and the Academic Quality and Policy Office.
  • If you are experiencing ongoing difficulties causing you to miss classes, you can contact your personal tutor, the Wellbeing team, the Student Services Centre, or the Advice Centre at the SU, who should all be able to help and advise you.
  • If you are an international student on a Tier 4 visa, then non-attendance could result in your visa being withdrawn. So, making sure you have the required attendance level and that you’re clued up on how to submit theNotification of Absence form, as well as being fully aware of the support services available to you are even more important!

If you cannot attend for a legitimate reason and have provided appropriate evidence, you have a right to not face unjust repercussions. You must also have informed your department of your absence appropriately or submitted extenuating circumstances/applied for extensions in line with College guidelines. If you are experiencing ongoing absence, it is really important that you get in touch with your department and reach out to other services such as the Wellbeing team, the Student Services Centre, or the Advice Centre at the SU to help you.

want to speak to an advisor?

If you've already looked through our web pages and can't find the information you're after, and would like to discuss something face-to-face, it's easy to see an Advisor.


We hold weekly drop-in sessions on Zoom during term time. Check out our Events Calendar here to find out when the next drop-in is- just use the "Advice" filter on the left hand side of the page.


Email us at