Brexit: The Implications for EU Students

I am sure it will not have escaped your notice, although there have been a few other things going on, that the UK formally left the European Union on 31 January 2020 and has been in a transition period ever since. This transition period will formally end on 31 December 2020.

The transition period has been in place to allow for relevant legislation to be developed for the UK’s exit, this has included changes to the immigration system and thus if you are an EU/EEA student, this will have an effect on your immigration status in the UK. You need to be aware of what you will need to do, as a student, to show that you remain eligible to study in the UK. The University have provided some FAQs, with a summary available below.

I am an EEA/Swiss National and I am in the UK

If you have not done so already, you should apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. This scheme is free to apply for and will grant you either pre-settled (five years of leave in the UK) or settled status (indefinite leave). This will be based on how long you have been living here in the UK.

When applying for the EU Settlement Scheme, if you need to provide proof of your registration at the College and are fully enrolled for the current academic year, you can download your Student Status Certificate from Campus Connect.

We advise you to apply for this as soon as possible – if you would like any assistance with your application, please contact the International Student Support Office.

I am an EEA/Swiss National and I am outside the UK

If you arrive in the UK before 1 January 2021 then you will be eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme and you can follow the instructions above and in this document. If you are going to arrive on/after 1 January 2021 you will not be eligible and you must apply for a visa to enter the UK. If you are arriving for a degree programme, you will require a Student visa.

I am an EEA/Swiss National inside the UK, but I plan to leave the UK for the winter break and will not return until the start of term two

It is strongly recommended that you apply for the EU Settlement Scheme now. If you do not apply, then you will require immigration permission to return to the UK if you enter on/after 1 January 2021.

Further information and support

It is important to note that the EU Settlement Scheme does not have a minimum requirement for how long you have been in the UK to apply. This may affect your decision on when to arrive in the UK to avoid needing to apply for a Student visa, and to qualify for the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you will be entering the UK after 31 December 2020 (either as a new January start student or a student who has been studying online since September), you will need to pay £348 in application fees for a VISA, with £470 each year for health charges.

For more information, you can download the International Student Support Guide on the Welcome to Royal Holloway app.

For further details on entering the UK as an international student, or to discuss your personal situation, please contact the International Student Support Office.