Student Rights: Extensions

VP Education Kate Roberts is back with the latest in her series of blogs designed to ensure you know your rights when it comes to your academic experience.

Welcome to our new mini blog series on your academic rights as a student!

At the SU we are here to represent your academic interests and improve your education, a key part of this relies on you, as students, being aware of your rights and what you should expect from your academic experience.

To ensure you have all the tools you need to successfully complete your studies, we've created a dedicated page where all my blogs will be in one place should you ever want to check back over things.

Student Rights Hub

In this blog I am going to give you the lowdown on extensions, when you should apply for one and how you can request them.

Extensions are there for you as students when something unexpected happens. This will probably be a stressful time for you so ensuring you know the process before this happens, and know who to contact for help, is really important. Your personal tutor or course leaders may be able to offer you advice and our Advice Centre at the SU is always here to help you.

Should I apply for an extension?

  • If you can’t meet an assessment deadline during your studies due to a short-term unforeseeable reason, you may be eligible to apply for an extension.
  • If you are unable to apply for an extension before the assessment deadline and unable to submit your assessment by the deadline, you should apply for extenuating circumstances instead (please contact the SU Advice Centre if this is the case and we can provide guidance for you on the process).
  • An extension will be granted where there are clear personal or medical reasons that prevented you from meeting the original deadline.

How do I request an extension?

  • Log in to Campus Connect and select ‘Extensions’ under the ‘My Studies’ tab, then click on 'Extensions'.
  • Complete the extensions application and ensure you submit the appropriate supporting documents with the application, as appropriate.
  • Your extension application will be accepted up and until the assessment deadline, but no earlier than ten working days before the deadline. However, if you submit less than 24 hours before the deadline, your application may not be processed before the deadline.
  • You have the option to apply for either a five working days (self-certified) extension, or for a ten working days (evidence-based) extension, depending on your circumstances and why you need the extension.
  • You can only be granted two five working day self-certified extensions per academic year. If the same circumstances affect more than one deadline in the same week, then this will normally be taken into consideration and considered as one instance of self-certification.
  • Usually all extension applications are made through the Campus Connect/Extensions System. If you can’t log into Campus Connect, you should contact the Student Services Centre.
  • Photographs or scans of evidence must be attached to all ten working day evidence-based extension applications. If you are submitting evidence and are unsure about what to submit and what is necessary, please contact the SU Advice Centre who will be able to help you.
  • You should keep working to your original assessment deadline until you hear about the outcome of your application.
  • You will be notified by email to your College email address, which requests you log in to Campus Connect to view updates. A decision on your application for an extension will normally be made within two working days.
  • If you are unable to submit an extension application before the deadline and you cannot submit your assessment by the deadline, you should apply for extenuating circumstances instead (please contact the SU Advice Centre if this is the case and we can provide guidance for you on the process).
  • If your extension application has been approved, but you have already submitted your assessment, you are able to revise and resubmit your assessment by the new deadline.

Who should I talk to?

  • Your personal tutor should be kept updated about anything affecting your studies. This way, they can make sure you have access to all the support you need.
  • You can always directly access the university’s help and support services.

If you need help understanding/completing the process or want to discuss extensions please contact the Advice Centre at the SU. They are an independent and confidential service offering impartial advice. You can email them at Alternatively, you can book an appointment via the Students’ Union Helpdesk either in person or by calling 01784 276700.

Kate Roberts // Vice President Education