The International Student Guide

It's a new year, new term, and for international students joining us in January, it's a new start! To help you settle in, the Advice Centre has put together some important tips for you to know!

adviceadvice centre

It's a new year, new term, and for international students joining us in January, it's a new start! We know that starting university can be a big change and moving to a different country and culture, you might be feeling some anxiety along with all the excitement. To help you settle in, the Advice Centre has put together some important tips for you to know!

Financial Planning

While budgeting isn't the most exciting topic, financial wellbeing is critical to your overall university experience. A budget can help track your income and monitor your expenses.

Work out what money you have coming in, whether it's money from a student loan, work or family. Then work out your expenses, from food shopping, to rent and bills if you live in private accommodation, and any travel costs.

If you have money left over each month, it's a great idea to put it into a savings account as it can help with any unexpected expenses. If you want to look for part-time or casual work to make some extra money, remember to check what the rules are around working on your student visa. Try not to overload your schedule and remember to focus on your studies!

Transportation Guide

The cheapest and quickest way to travel in the UK is by public transport. The 441 and 500 bus services have bus stops just outside campus and you can save 33% on your fare by showing your Student ID card.

If you want to travel around the UK, Egham's local train station is located on Station Road and takes around 20 minutes to walk to and from campus. A 42-minute train ride takes you straight into London Waterloo station.

If you purchase a 16-25 railcard, or if you are a mature student in full-time study, you can also make the most of these savings with the 1-year railcard. You can get discounted travel on train journeys, saving a third of the cost of the ticket.

Healthcare Access

You experience a lot when you're at university, so by registering with a doctor, you will have easy access to healthcare along with lots of other benefits.

International students have already paid for access to the NHS as part of your visa arrangements. You should register with your local General Practitioner, also referred to as a GP, as soon as you move into your student home.

GPs treat all common medical conditions and refer patients to hospitals and other medical services for urgent and specialist treatment. They focus on the health of the whole person combining physical, psychological and social aspects of care.

You can use this NHS search tool to find your nearest GP service.

Put yourself out there!

The UK is diverse and welcoming of people from all around the world. As an international student, you join a huge community of others doing the same thing as you at the same time.

All universities have plenty of international students, and the Students' Union runs a lot of societies for people from different faiths and cultures. From bhangra to debating, there's a dazzling choice of clubs and societies to get involved with at Royal Holloway. Refreshers is also a chance to get out and about on campus and aims to help students meet each other and make friends.

New to the UK Programme

The New to the UK is a series of free events specially designed to help international students feel welcome and supported when they first join Royal Holloway. They aim to help make your transition to studying at Royal Holloway and life in the UK as smooth as possible and provide opportunities to socialise and meet other students.

Support on Campus

There are people at the University who can help you get through your studies. We know that coming to university brings a shift in the way you work, which could be different to how you study elsewhere. The University has put together a Skills Gateway Hub, which can support you with useful workshops, courses, 1:1 support and self-study resources on things such as academic writing and communication to postgraduate research skills.

Moving to another country, away from your home and family, while trying to focus on your studies can be overwhelming. The Student Wellbeing Team is here to support you with advice on wellbeing, including transition and adjustment to university life.

The International Advice team is also there to support integration into study and life in the UK, as well providing visa and immigration advice.

The Advice Centre is a free and independent service for all students at Royal Holloway. We’re here to support you with a whole range of issues, big and small, and free from judgement. While our advisors specialise in academic and housing advice, we can offer guidance on just about everything that may affect you during your university journey.

Further Support

Our Advice Centre is a free, independent, and confidential service for all students here at Royal Holloway. Our friendly, experienced, and professional staff will provide a listening ear and offer general and specialist advice. We’re here to support you with a whole range of issues, big and small, and if we’re not the best people to help you with a particular issue, we’ll point you in the right direction.

Our advisors hold drop-ins on Zoom and in-person every Tuesday from 13:30-15:30 and fortnightly online on Wednesdays from 17:30-19:30. You can find more information on our events calendar.